Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Story

Last week I went to the funeral of a lady I had never met. She was the stepmother of a dear friend. I went to this funeral because I wanted to be there for my friend. I really hate funerals but as far as funerals go, this was a very nice service. What impressed me most about this funeral and the reason I am writing about it, was that the woman who had passed away, had left very detailed instructions about what she wanted done.


Part of the service, was where a family member read this woman's story. It detailed her life - it was a great story. She helped raise a family. She was an educator for many years, participating in furthering educational opportunities for young adults. She was an active member in her church, she worked for the Democratic Party and was active in a woman's group. She also traveled all over the world with her husband. This woman had really done a lot in her life. I was extremely impressed by all that she had accomplished and the legacy that she has left behind.


While I was driving back to work, I was pondering on this. If I died tomorrow, would I have a story for someone to read at my funeral? Would my family have to anything to say about my life? I am thinking not a heck of a lot. I suppose they could say that I was a nice person. I do try. I was a decent wife and mother. At least I hope they will say that. I did a pretty good job at the daughter and sister gig. I tried to be a good friend. I worked hard. There you have it. That is my story. I am not a joiner. So there won't be a long list of all the organizations that I was a member of. I don't really have the desire to shape others lives. I have never done anything that made an impact or is really worth writing about.


This whole not having a story thing bothered me for a couple of days. That was until I came up with a brilliant solution to not having a story. It was so easy.


What I am going to do is not die. Think about it, if I don't die, then I don't have to have a funeral and the best part, I don't have to have a story. Much easier than worrying about not having a story. Works for me.


Hugs,
Annie

3 comments:

Conniecrafter said...

Annie you are apart of CC, that is kind of like a club :) you have shared your artwork and sense of humor with many people all over the world, probably some you don't even know you have, you would be very surprised at the people who you touch (not that way..LOL) every day :)

Sue McGettigan said...

LOL Annie, not dying, the perfect plan!! I'll join you in solidarity :) When you're writing that script, don't forget great friend, someone who shared sunshine and brightened the lives of others, OK?

Linda M said...

I've thought about this so much! But, I decided why do we all have to be "big fishes." The regular everyday folks like us are great, too! So here's to us! Nice, normal, good friend, loving wife and mother people.