Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sweater in a Weekend - Kinda Sorta

I made two resolutions this year. One was to be a kinder, gentler person (especially at work) and the other was to really learn to knit. I have been taking classes for the knitting. This is working really well, the other resolution - well that is another story for another day.
I love sitting and knitting with others who are at the same skill level that I am. So I took a huge step and signed up for a class where you can complete a sweater in a weekend.
You can if you do nothing but knit. We started the class, Friday at 6:00 pm and knitted until 9:30. Got up Saturday morning, knitted some more, then headed back to the store and knitted until 5:00pm. Came home and knitted some more. Started knitting again on Sunday, left for the store at 12:30 and knitted until I got everything done but one sleeve. My hands were tired by Sunday afternoon.
The gals in the class were awesome. There were four of us and the instructor. Took turns bringing in treats to snack on. Talked about everything. Had a blast. A wonderful relaxing way to spend a weekend.
Here is a picture of the finished product. I did finish the sleeve by the next weekend. It is a very bulky yarn and a heavy sweater, perfect for Minnesota weather. Now if I can just figure out how to adapt the pattern for a baby sweater.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

first off.... i cant believe you need to be kinder and gentler - you are one of the sweetest people i know! but.. ok...
the sweater is WONDERFUL! i think i'd go nuts knitting all weekend tho.. how did you ever do that? but the results were certainly worth it. its so pretty. I can barely knit so i'm in awe of those who can really knit - and make a sweater? holy crap ... a-may-zing!

Babsarella said...

Annie, this sweater is AWESOME!! I love it and can just imagine how great it will be to wear in your cold neck-o-the-woods. I would love to be able to learn how to knit, but we don't get much opportunity to wear sweaters here in FL unless they are pretty light weight. My grandma use to knit me the most lovely sweaters and I still have them. Can't wait to see what else you will be making!!

Anonymous said...

Annie - it is fabulous!!!!! And I agree with Tracy - if the people at work don't see the sweet Annie that I do, then they must deserve however you do act with them! So there!!!!
Candy

Kerilou said...

I am with Tracy--you are already kind, and gentle...it is the people you are forced to deal with that need the attitude adjustments! I hope you continue to deal better with that situation..NOW...
This sweather is great!! I love it! It looks so warm and comfy! Someday maybe I can make one??I dont' know if you saw the slippers my Mom made for me on my blog--she is going to teach me how to knit...I am so nervous!! LOVE IT!!
Keri

Dymphie said...

Hi Annie, I'm impressed, knitting a sweater in one (1!) weekend, wow, i never finished a sweater in my life (my mom always did the sleeves *lol*). I'm sure you will make the most lovely baby sweaters soon.
Thanks for visiting my blog and you kind comments, really appreciated.

Lisa Renéa said...

WOW! Annie, you managed to once again conquer any task you set your mind to! Brilliant, I say!
Beautiful, too! Your such a sweetie, no need for kinder or gentler. Hang in there & I hope your feeling better, too.

Michele said...

Great job! I have wanted to learn how to knit since High School. I am not quite sure why though...lol. I keep passing on the adult ed class here because I know I don't have time for another craft. One day. I can't wait to see what else you start knitting!

liannallama said...

WOWOWOWOW! That is some accomplishment--a whole sweater!? Dang--you're good! I know how to knit but the only things I've ever finished are some practice squares and a baby layette (that took WAAAY more than a weekend. This looks awesome and will be so pretty to wear!