Sunday, April 5, 2009

Baby Hats

I have completed quite a few baby hats recently waiting for Spring to arrive. Really have to decide what to do with them. I have been thinking about starting an Etsy shop. It would be nice to at least cover the cost of the yarns. The problem is that I buy expensive yarns and have no clue if people would pay 20 dollars or more for these hats. That is what I would need to get in order to cover my costs. This little hat is made from Cashmere and the fringe has a silver strand running thru it. I suppose I should back away from the more expensive yarns but they are just so nice to knit with. Recently I found this great yarn - BabyBoo. It is made from Bamboo. What a great product and the colors are so fun. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

Babsarella said...

This is totally adorable and I think $20 for a hat that is as cute and soft as this would totally be worth it. Another suggestion is to maybe make some adult sized hats too, which may be good sellers and offer some sort of deal if you purchase an adult and and baby hat. Also, have you looked around to see what other hats are selling for? You might be surprised that $20 is very in the ball park. Plus, you must play up the quality of the yarn and the workmanship involved in creating this adorable treasure.

Sue McGettigan said...

Annie - follow your heart - knit with those lovely fancy yarns and charge appropriately - if you build it they will come! People pay great money for very ordinary baby clothes, your hats will sell for sure!

Kerilou said...

I would go for it! I agree with Barbara, too, about the adult hats. Ever since a friend of mine saw the one you made me, she has not left me alone about it. She wants matching ones for her and her daughter...those would be big sellers, Mom and Me sets...Good luck, and I LOVE this hat!
Keri

Christine said...

Annie! Hello girl. Thanks for stopping by. The hat is adorable! It's always a toss up when you use an expensive product, but I think that's cute enough to sell for sure.

We're getting Shetland sheep soon. Once I learn how to spin I'll send you some yarn! Other than that I've just been busy raising chickens, quilting and homeschooling. Oh dear, I sound like one of "those people" who should be wearing skirts and sandels don't I? lol

Anonymous said...

Annie - I think you should go for it. I just did some browsing on Etsy, and you are right on with that price for a natural, fancy yarn! Most of the lower priced ones were made from ordinary acrylic. I bet you would be pleasantly surprised! Oh, and I love this one too!
Candy

Lisa Renéa said...

Annie! This is adorable! Love the tiny ribbons! I can't knit, regardless of how hard, I try! I'm jealous! I say go for the Etsy thing! I'm happy to post your etsy link on my blog, too. I also think there have to be some upscale baby boutiques who would love to sell these. Oh, wait--how about this--the gift shop at the hospitals here, often sell quality handmade products at the gift shops, try it!

liannallama said...

This hat is darling and I think $20 is reasonable. Check in with the photography peas--I notice they are always buying them for their newborn shots--ask their opinion.